Sunday, August 9, 2009

Update

Long time, no post.


Annabel has been sick for about a week. I think she's finally back to feeling good again! Last Sunday night, we went to Mario and Shannon's for dinner (excellent as always!). She was sort of crabby and had a nasty diaper, but we thought that she was just wiped out from a busy weekend. On Monday, she had a fever and that continued through Friday. We took her to the doctor the first time on Wednesday and since she didn't have any symptoms really other than being run down and not sleeping well, the doctor said it was probably just a passing virus. We took her back on Friday night because she still wasn't feeling well, still had a fever and also broke out in a rash. Turns out, she has/had the 5th disease. Apparently that can cause muscle aches (hence the fitful sleeping) and just feeling bad. I endured many temper tantrums last week! Annabel is usually pretty agreeable and easy to get along with, but she was far from either of those things when she was sick. It was exhausting and I am so glad that she is on the mend.


Now the countdown is on for my next treatment on Thursday. I am not looking forward to it, but at the same time will be glad to be halfway finished with the chemo portion of my cancer journey. I am also nervous about meeting with my doctor before treatment because I know it will be time for us to discuss the results of the genetic test. I know that what waits for me is a recommendation to have a bilateral mastectomy as well as an oopherectomy (ovary removal). I have been preparing myself for it, but I don't want to get that ball rolling. It's one thing to know and another altogether to have to plan for it. I am pretty sure that my doctors will want me to have surgery and then complete radiation before reconstruction, so I will be boobless for some amount of time. At least my hair will start growing back before I lose the boobs. I have learned that I am not that vain since I am bald, but I'd rather not test it by being boobless and hairless at the same time if I can help it!

I went to a breast cancer support group last week. It only meets once a month, so that is disappointing. The next meeting will be when I am having treatment #5, so I won't be able to go. There were two other women in the group and then the group leader. The regular group leader was on vacation, so I'm not sure what it is usually like, but it was helpful to meet other people who are in the thick of it like I am. I feel like I did a lot of talking and asking questions. I also went to the Ear, Nose & Throat doctor this week about my continual sore throat. He thinks that I have reflux and says that over the counter medication won't touch it, so he sent me on my way with a prescription for an acid reducer. That was after he stuck a hose up my nose and down my throat! I don't recommend that; it was traumatic and I almost passed out after he finally removed it from my person. He told me that it is usually men who pass out or get woozy, so I'm not sure what that was supposed to mean. I had to recline there for a while with a wet paper towel before I could leave. Waaaaaaahhhhh! You would think by now, I'd be used to all of these medical procedures.

Thank you again for all the support and well wishes! It brightens my days!

No comments:

Post a Comment